When we first started traveling in 2018 as full-time digital nomads…
There were very few digital nomad travel insurance options available. So when we learned about SafetyWing in 2019, we decided to put it to the test and see if it was any good.
We’ve now been using SafetyWing on and off for over 4+ years!
The truth is that SafetyWing offers a convenient travel insurance option for digital nomads, backpackers, remote workers and travelers.
In this SafetyWing review, I will share with you our experience using SafetyWing, what’s included in their policies and what’s not. You’ll also learn about their new claims process launched this year and how it compares to other insurance providers.
*This SafetyWing Insurance Review was updated for the Nomad 2.0 release in November 2023.
SafetyWing Insurance Overview
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is a flexible, affordable subscription-based travel and medical insurance designed for digital nomads, remote workers and long-term travelers. Get worldwide travel insurance coverage with prices starting from just $45.08 per 4 weeks.
- Simple, straightforward, affordable pricing
- Good value-for-money travel insurance
- Flexible subscription model with easy cancellation
- Cheaper compared to main competitors
- Purchase insurance while already abroad
- Designed for long-term travelers
- Includes covid-19 coverage
- Excellent customer service
- Optional Extreme sports & electronics theft
- High deductible compared to competitors
- Limited coverage for pre-existing conditions
- No coverage for lost or stolen cash
- Basic coverage may not be sufficient for some travelers
- Limited coverage for personal items
- Insurance claim process can be time-consuming
Who Is SafetyWing?
SafetyWing is a travel insurance company specifically tailored to the needs of digital nomads, travelers and expats living abroad.
Founded in 2018 in Norway, SafetyWing is now headquartered in California. They have quickly become one of the leading providers of digital nomad insurance with more than 100,000+ customers worldwide traveling in over 150+ countries.
To put it simply: There are a lot of people who use SafetyWing today!
SafetyWing Offers two main Insurance plans:
- Nomad Insurance: Flexible travel medical insurance starting at $45.08 USD per 4 weeks
- Remote Health: Global health insurance starting at $123 USD per month
In this SafetyWing review, we will be mainly focusing on their most popular product – Nomad Insurance.
How Does SafetyWing Insurance Work?
SafetyWing operates like a subscription model that charges you every 28 days.
This is perfect for people who have one-way tickets or aren’t sure when they will be returning home because you can cancel anytime without penalties!
It’s also possible to add your spouse or children to your Safetywing policy.
Unlike other digital nomad insurance providers, SafetyWing prioritizes flexibility. You can buy SafetyWing Nomad insurance while you’re already abroad and continue to extend it for as long as you need it.
There are no extra charges or large upfront costs!
This is great for those who forgot to buy insurance or want to extend their trip.
What Does SafetyWing Insurance Cover?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance can be purchased by people up to 69 years old.
Here’s an overview of what the insurance plan covers:
- $250,000 USD in emergency medical coverage ($100,000 USD for over 65 years old)
- $100,000 USD for emergency medical evacuation (up to $25,000 for a pre-existing illness or injury)
- $1,000 USD for emergency dental treatment
- $10,000 USD for political evacuation
- $5,000 USD for unforeseen trip interruption
- Up to $200 USD for travel delays ($100 per day, max 2 days)
- Up to $500 USD for accommodation for natural disaster emergency evacuation ($100 per day, max 5 days)
- Up to $25,000 Personal liability for third-person injury or property
- $12,500–$25,000 USD for accidental death or dismemberment
Overall, our opinion and experience with SafetyWing would put this at a basic level of coverage. It is great for people on a budget who don’t need high levels of coverage. It covers the basics that most people will need.
Make sure that you check the full policy description for coverage and any conditions that apply.
What Isn’t Covered By SafetyWing Insurance?
Nomad Insurance is primarily focused on covering basic travel issues and medical emergencies. Here are some notable exclusions from the base Nomad insurance policy:
- Cancer treatment
- Routine check-ups and preventative care
- Pre-existing conditions (except for the specific coverage described in the policy)
- Lost or stolen cash
- Travel in North Korea, Cuba, Iran
- Extreme sports & adventure activities (optional add-on)
- Electronics theft (optional add-on)
The most notable lack of coverage for us is for stolen or lost personal items. If you are traveling with expensive gear or personal items, you need to be aware of this.
There is an optional add-on to your insurance policy for electronics theft – more on that next…
Optional Insurance Inclusions
Recently SafetyWing launched Nomad 2.0 and there were some pretty decent upgrades to their insurance policy.
With it, you now have some optional add-ons to expand the range of cover you have in your policy.
- Adventure sports coverage add-on: Coverage for additional adventure sports like cave diving, hang gliding, snowmobile driving, kite surfing, martial arts and skydiving
- Electronics theft add-on: Coverage for your laptop, phone, camera or other electronics if they get stolen. Up to $1,000 per item, with a yearly total of $3,000 per policy.
Note: These product add-ons are not yet available to U.S. residents.
A lot of complaints that we heard from people was that SafetyWing didn’t have these extras in their policy. But now you can add them on if you want them!
Does SafetyWing Cover COVID-19?
Yes, SafetyWing does cover COVID-19 in the same way it covers any other illness, as long as it wasn’t contracted before your policy start date. It also can’t fall under other policy exclusions or limitations.
What does the COVID-19 coverage include?
You’re covered for medically necessary treatment and tests. For example, the antibody test isn’t covered because it’s considered not medically necessary.
The cost of SafetyWing Nomad insurance starts at just $45.08 per month.
This is one of the lowest prices you’ll find for reliable travel insurance that offers excellent flexibility. The amount you pay each month ultimately comes down to your age and whether you want to have travel insurance coverage in the US.
Here’s the pricing table that shows how much a SafetyWing insurance subscription costs every 4 weeks (28-day period):
|Age Range||Worldwide Coverage – EXCLUDES U.S||Worldwide Coverage – INCLUDES U.S|
|10 to 39||$45.08 USD||$83.44 USD|
|40 to 49||$73.92 USD||$127.48 USD|
|50 to 59||$115.92 USD||$226.24 USD|
|60 to 64||$157.36 USD||$308.84 USD|
|65 to 69||$157.36 USD||$308.84 USD|
© Original table created by Two Tickets Anywhere.
As you can see…
When you include coverage in the United States – the cost of SafetyWing Insurance almost doubles for all age groups. You need to take that into account if you plan to travel to the U.S.
The optional add-ons will also increase the price of your insurance policy. Both the adventure sports and electronics theft are an additional $10 each per 4 weeks which is actually pretty good.
Deductibles And Maximum Limits
Most SafetyWings plans have the same deductible and maximum limit for claims. These are:
- Deductible: $250 per certificate period
- Maximum Claim Limit: $250,000
The only difference is for those aged 65-69. You get an overall maximum limit of $100,000.
The $250 deductible is pretty high. But the benefit is that you only have to pay it once per certificate period.
For example, if you have a valid claim of $1,000 you would pay the first $250 and SafetyWing would cover the other $750. But if you have another valid claim later, you will get the full amount back.
You won’t have to pay any deductible as long as it’s in the same certificate period.
This is a great benefit that SafetyWing offers!
Nomad Health: Global Health Insurance For Remote Workers And Nomads
SafetyWing Nomad Health was officially launched in 2023.
Think of Nomad Health as comprehensive health insurance for digital nomads, remote workers and even expats. It’s an innovative approach to international health care that covers you in 175+ countries worldwide.
The way Nomad Health works is simple yet effective…
You sign up for one of the Nomad Health plans and start using it like you would any health care plan in your home country. There are two plan options available:
The Basic Plan offers essential coverage, ideal for those seeking a cost-effective solution for inpatient and outpatient medical care.
The Plus Plan provides more comprehensive coverage, including dental care, vision, screenings and vaccines. This is perfect for nomads seeking a more robust healthcare safety net.
It’s important to note that Nomad Health is distinct from Nomad Travel Insurance provided by SafetyWing.
While both services cater to a similar audience, Nomad Health is health insurance and Nomad Insurance is travel insurance. Check out the differences in our international health insurance vs travel insurance article.
If you are heading out for a couple of weeks/months or just need travel insurance cover, then Nomad Insurance is probably the best option to check out. But if you want more comprehensive health insurance, then check out Nomad Health.
Currently Nomad Health isn’t available for US residents.
What Makes SafetyWing Different From Other Insurance Companies?
Now you have all the background information about SafetyWing travel insurance.
But what makes it different from other travel insurance providers?
Here’s a quick overview of what makes SafetyWing stand out:
- Insurance Designed For Digital Nomads – SafetyWing was one of the first companies to create a specific travel insurance policy designed for digital nomads and long-term travelers.
- Medical Coverage – SafetyWing offers a wide range of medical coverage, covering everything from medical emergencies to intensive care.
- Travel Coverage – SafetyWing doesn’t just offer medical coverage. You also get good travel coverage for things like travel delays and lost checked luggage.
- Buy It Abroad – Not at home? With SafetyWing travel insurance you can buy your while already traveling.
- Young Children Covered – Up to 2 children under the age of 10 can be included in your SafetyWing insurance policy for free.
- No Return Ticket Needed – You are not required to have a return home ticket to be insured like some travel insurance providers require.
- Monthly Subscription – SafetyWing works on a subscription, where you get billed the same amount every 4 weeks (28-day period).
- Clear Pricing Structure – No hidden costs, just choose your subscription and pay the same amount each month.
- Good Value For Money – The amount you pay for insurance vs. what’s included in your coverage means you get excellent value for money compared to SafetyWing’s top competitors.
- Some Home Country Coverage – After 90 days abroad as a SafetyWing subscriber, you’re covered for brief visits back to your home country for up to 30 days (15 days for U.S. residents).
- Cancel Anytime – Want to cancel your insurance subscription? Just log into the SafetyWing portal and cancel it any time you want.
- Excellent Customer Service – SafetyWing has excellent live chat support on their website and a 24/7 emergency contact number.
What Do Other People Say About SafetyWing?
Don’t just take our word for it…
To help you get the full picture of SafetyWing, we have included what other people say about their insurance policy in our SafetyWing review. Below you can see real user reviews on TrustPilot and Product Hunt.
We’ve also listed some of the advantages and disadvantages based on what we’ve observed other SafetyWing customers saying on both platforms.
SafetyWing Reviews on Trustpilot
SafetyWing has a 4.2 out of 5 rating on TrustPilot. This is considered a “Great” score overall and is from a massive 914 user reviews.
Positive TrustPilot Reviews: SafetyWing received praise for its excellent customer service, especially for its professionalism and patience. Travelers also like their clear pricing and no hidden fees. Digital nomads particularly had positive experiences with the convenient signup process and being able to tailor policies to their needs.
Negative TrustPilot Reviews: The main concerns raised were about the claim processing time as some customers reported that it took almost 2.5 months to process their claims. Additionally, some users mentioned that they would prefer a more detailed overview of claim history on their dashboard.
SafetyWing Reviews on Product Hunt
SafetyWing has a 3.3 out of 5 on Product Hunt. This is based on 203 user reviews on the platform.
Positive Product Hunt Reviews: People appreciated that SafetyWing offered convenient and flexible travel insurance for nomads and frequent travelers. Customers also liked the ease of sign-up, helpful customer support, and affordable pricing. The ability to extend coverage, cancel easily and make monthly payments was also valued
Negative Product Hunt Reviews: On the other hand, several negative reviews brought attention to difficulties with the claim process and reimbursement. Customers expressed frustration with claim denials, long processing times, and communication issues regarding approved claims.
Who Is SafetyWing Insurance Good AND Not Good For?
The truth is that SafetyWing isn’t going to suit everyone.
Make sure you read through their full policy description to ensure it’s right for you. The following table is designed to help you decide if SafetyWing is the right choice for you:
|SafetyWing Is Good For…||SafetyWing Is NOT Good For…|
|Long-term travelers on a budget||Travelers who do have lots of expensive items or equipment|
|Travelers who ONLY need the basics covered||Travelers needing more comprehensive trip delay or trip cancellation|
|Travelers who don’t have expensive gear or equipment||Travelers doing extreme sports or activities that SafetyWing doesn’t cover|
|Travelers who need flexible travel insurance and don’t have a fixed return date home||Travelers looking for preventative health insurance or checkups|
|Digital nomads & remote workers who need long-term coverage|
© Original table created by Two Tickets Anywhere.
In our opinion, SafetyWing seems to be generally designed for younger people. The prices skyrocket after the age of 49 years of age. And remember that SafetyWing doesn’t cover people over the age of 69 years old.
In saying that, it’s one of the most affordable one way travel insurance plans you’ll find. It’s also extremely flexible and offers good value for money when you consider what’s included.
Making A Claim With SafetyWing
SafetyWing claims work similarly to other travel insurance providers.
They have a dedicated claims portal to handle everything.
Here’s how it works:
You’ll first have to choose whether it’s a medical claim or a travel claim. After that, you will be asked to attach the necessary documents.
When you are filing a medical claim, you need to attach:
- Your medical report (a note from your doctor that includes symptoms, diagnosis and treatment)
- A detailed invoice outlining what you paid for
- Proof of payment or receipt
- Your SafteyWing insurance policy number
Make sure you attach all the required documents upfront so that your claim can be handled quickly. SafetyWing aims to provide a confirmation email that your claim has been received and is in processing within 3 business days.
Keep in mind that all claims must be filed within 60 days following the termination of the insurance.
Average Time To Get Reimbursed For A Claim
How long does it take for SafetyWing to process a claim?
Your claim should take between 30 and 45 days to be processed. You will be reimbursed into your bank account by direct wire transfer if approved.
Claims take different amounts of time based on the incident and what you are claiming for.
Nomad 2.0 Update: SafetyWing has now streamlined their claims form and reduced their claims turnaround to about 7-10 business days. This is available to new Nomad Insurance policyholders (not yet for U.S. residents).
SafetyWing Insurance Cancellation Policy
A huge benefit of SafetyWing is that you can cancel your insurance policy anytime.
Here’s how it works:
Log in to your SafetyWing account and click the “Stop insurance” button on your profile. Your insurance policy will then be canceled when your next payment is due to be debited.
SafetyWing Review: Final Thoughts
This brings us to the end of our SafetyWing review!
The truth is that SafetyWing is a great travel insurance option for travelers, remote workers and digital nomads who want good protection on a budget.
Their affordable monthly subscription means you get good travel and medical coverage without breaking the bank. And you’ll also get access to their 24/7 customer support team, who can help with any questions or problems that may arise!
Just make sure you check out their policy for yourself, so you can decide whether SafetyWing is right for you.
Ready to get started? Sign up for SafetyWing here.
Don’t forget to check out our complete review of the best travel insurance for digital nomads to see how SafetyWing really stacks up against the rest.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is SafetyWing insurance good?
Yes, SafetyWing is a great travel insurance option for long-term travelers, remote workers and digital nomads who want good protection on a budget. Their affordable prices and flexible monthly subscription mean you get good travel and medical coverage as you travel around.
Is SafetyWing refundable?
Yes, SafetyWing is refundable. If you cancel before your policy starts, you get a full refund. If you cancel after your policy has started, they refund anything apart from the first 5 days. This is because SafetyWing has a minimum 5-day policy purchase.
For subscription policy extensions, SafetyWing will charge you 3 days before your policy is automatically extended. You can contact them within those 3 days and receive a full refund.
How long do SafetyWing insurance claims take?
You will receive a confirmation email within 3 business days to say that your claim is being processed. SafetyWing typically processes claims in less than 45 days. If your claim is approved, you will be reimbursed by wire transfer directly into your bank account.
Where is SafetyWing based?
SafetyWing was founded in Norway. The head office is now based in Palo Alto, California in the United States.
Does SafetyWing cover scooter/moped accidents?
SafetyWing covers scooter and moped accidents for your own eligible medical expenses. To be covered on a scooter or moped, you must have the correct license and be wearing the proper safety gear.